Website Allen County Historical Society
LOCATION: Lima, Ohio
POSITION TITLE: Public Engagement & Learning Coordinator
COMPANY NAME: Allen County Museum and Historical Society
DBA: Allen County Museum
JOB FUNCTION: Education
JOB TYPE: Full-time
JOB DURATION: Indefinite
MIN EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree plus 3 years-experience; Master’s Degree preferred
MIN EXPERIENCE: 5-7 Years
SALARY: $35,000 – $45,000
Description of Organization:
The Allen County Museum and Historical Society (Allen County Museum), located in Lima, Ohio, is a campus consisting of the main museum, a historic Victorian mansion and carriage house dating to 1893, an 1848 log house, and the Annex and collection storage building. Established in 1908, the museum has existed as the cultural center of the community for one hundred and fifteen years. The main museum remains free to the public and focuses on the community’s rich history. As the only Ohio county museum accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the museum cares for over 250,000 archival and material artifacts that tell the story of the region and Ohio.
The Allen County Museum is seeking a full-time Public Engagement and Learning Coordinator. This is a key team player in driving the creation of meaningful educational content. They create innovative, inclusive experiences that actively engage visitors with the museums exhibitions, collections, and programs.
The Public Engagement and Learning Coordinator (PELC) reports directly to the Museum Director and works collaboratively with the curators and educators to carry out the strategic vision of the museum through various cross-departmental initiatives, activities, and experiences. They will be a major contributor in the development of interactive and creative approaches to a more audience-engaged museum.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• BA/BS plus at least two years’ experience or a combination of related education and work experience to equal at least six years of progressive experience in museum or other cultural institutions in planning and implementing programs, community engagement initiatives, exhibitions, visitor research, interpretation, and other activities for diverse audiences.
• Knowledge of educational methodologies and philosophies, visitor research/evaluation, informal learning environments, and gallery teaching practices.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal skills, including the ability to tailor speech and writing to a variety of audiences and purposes.
• Must demonstrate broad knowledge of art education and museum practices.
• Project management skills, including budgeting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Work collaboratively across learning and curatorial departments to establish interpretative goals for exhibitions, collections, and programs that prioritize visitor engagement and learning.
• Collaborate on the development of digital materials.
• Develop and maintain relationships with academic and community groups to promote museum programs and resources.
• Assist with community outreach and coordinate community group participation and advisory groups for a range of programs and initiatives.
• Develop and contribute to audience research through available and new methods as well as first-hand experience with ACM visitors.
• Collect and administer surveys to track visitor engagement and satisfaction around exhibitions and programs, reporting findings to museum colleagues.
• Assist with marketing and communication materials, including press coverage, web content, and other promotional materials.
• Create mission-driven digital content for social media channels.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT & CHANGE
• Encourage a strong culture of trust and shared accountability among direct reports, and continued collaboration with other departments.
• Recruit, train, manage volunteers.
• Co-manage intern program; supervise interns on varied department related projects.
• A personal and professional commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
ADMINISTRATION & FUNDRAISING
• Work with the Curator of Education in the development and management of department budget.
• Assist with grant applications and provide reports as needed.
• Prepare contracts and supporting documentation for speakers, presenters, writers, artists, and other contractors.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ATMOSPHERE
This is a full-time position, with a flexible schedule as required for implementation of responsibilities and related museum activities. Working hours may include some evenings and weekends. General mobility throughout museum properties required.
Review of application materials will begin immediately. Applicants should email a cover letter describing your interest in the position and a resume with references to email@example.com. Address letter to: Christine Fowler Shearer, Director, Allen County Museum, 620 West Market Street, Lima, Ohio 45801. No phone calls please. Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The selected applicant will be required to submit to a background check. Allen County Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org