The African American Museum of Iowa seeks a Communications Coordinator. This part-time position (regularly scheduled for 21 hours/week) reports to the Executive Director but will work closely with and take direction from all Museum departments. The ideal candidate will be organized and efficient at balancing simultaneous projects. The Communications Associate is responsible for creatively and strategically promoting the Museum and its exhibits, programs, events, and opportunities. While a consistent schedule is preferred, a combination of on-site and remote work schedule is possible. This position pays $11-14/hour.
The Communications Coordinator increases public awareness of the AAMI and ensures the community is aware of the variety of exhibits, programs, events, and resources the Museum offers. The Communications Coordinator plays an essential role in achieving the AAMI’s mission and vision by communicating them to the general public, helping create a community that is better informed about its shared past and present to make more informed decisions about our future.
Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree (or working toward a degree) or two years experience in English, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications (or related field) is preferred. Experience in the arts and culture industry or in the communications field is expected. Experience maneuvering a variety of social media platforms and proficiency in all components of Microsoft Office Suite is required. Experience in graphic design, database management, and/or video editing are preferred. The ideal candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, be dependable and organized, and have an interest in the Museum’s mission to preserve, exhibit, and teach the African American history of Iowa.
Reliable transportation is necessary for regular distribution of printed communications as well as frequent presence at workshops, fairs and other community events as needed. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Develop and design print and electronic communications including, but not limited to, flyers, posters, press releases, postcards, letters, and emails.
- Utilize electronic communication platforms such as Constant Contact, Hootsuite, community calendars, social media, etc.
- Maintain and update the Museum’s website and calendar of events.
- Creatively and strategically promote all Museum exhibits, programs, facilities, special events.
- Coordinate the Museum’s quarterly newsletter, the Iowa Griot.
- Work with the Museum team to develop communications strategies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Regularly update email mailing list
- Regularly distribute printed communications within the Czech/NewBo District and greater Cedar Rapids area
- Develop and maintain media and community relationships
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Writing and/or graphic design samples may be requested. This position is open until filled.
For more information about the Museum, visit our website at www.blackiowa.org . Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com