This full-time position (40 hours/week) reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Curator and Program and Outreach Coordinator to create and implement high-quality, mission-centered educational programming for all ages. The incumbent supervises the part-time Program and Outreach Coordinator. The Museum Educator collaborates with other museums, libraries, and educational institutions to partner and promote common educational offerings. Regular travel and evening/weekend work is required. This position pays $30,000 – $34,000 and is eligible for benefits. Relocation assistance is not available.
The Museum Educator is a key member of the AAMI team and the organization’s fulfillment of its mission. They ensure that all audiences receive accurate and engaging information about Iowa’s African American history and culture through presentations, tours, and a robust traveling exhibit and trunk program.
A Bachelor’s Degree in History, Education, or another relevant discipline is required, as well as experience in a formal or informal education setting. The ideal candidate should be creative, self-directed, organized, and a strong writer and presenter. The candidate should have an enthusiastic and outgoing personality, outstanding organizational skills, a positive attitude, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to relate history in an interesting manner, and an ability to accurately promote the AAMI’s programs. Strong computer skills and reliable transportation for statewide travel are required.
- Develop, schedule, and implement tours, workshops, programs, and educational curriculum appropriate for varying audiences both on and off-site
- Develop an understanding of Iowa’s African American history and African American Museum of Iowa policies
- Maintain department and project budgets
- Supervise part-time Program and Outreach Coordinator
- Work with staff to develop a wide variety of mission-centered year-round programming
- Coordinate and schedule outside presenters and speakers
- Develop, conduct, and track program and tour attendance and evaluations
- Communicate professionally and accurately with teachers, youth group leaders, tour groups, and other organizations
- Recruit, train, and schedule Education Department volunteers and interns
- Collaborate with other organizations to promote and/or implement events and programs
- Build relationships with communities throughout Iowa
- Compile and report information to the Executive Director and other appropriate persons
- Review and update information related to the Education Department on the Museum’s website.
- Assist with grant writing and other development activities as needed
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. This position is open until filled. Please direct questions about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com