Website Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum
The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (ALPLM) is hiring a Research and Interpretation Director to help share Lincoln’s legacy and the vast history of the State of Illinois. The ideal candidate is highly organized, personable, can work independently as well as with a team, and has a passion for exploring the untold stories of history. The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is a world class institution that welcomes more than 250,000 visitors every year and that houses one of the world’s best collections of Lincoln-related documents, artifacts and audiovisual materials. We invite qualified applicants to apply for the position of Research and Interpretation Director and help ALPLM continue to chronicle the life of one of our nation’s greatest Presidents.
Position Essential Functions
1. Serves as the agency’s in-house expert and spokesperson on issues regarding historical accuracy and interpretive content.
2. Plans, develops, organizes, directs and implements the policies and procedures and acts authoritatively on any policy making issues affecting the division.
3. Directs a team of scholars and historians in the collaborative process of reviewing agency materials.
4. Travels and appears before groups as spokesperson to promote the agency and its mission and goals and to present on research topics related to Abraham Lincoln, Illinois History and Midwest history.
5. In coordination with agency leadership, serves as the liaison between the ALPLM and other research institutions and centers.
6. Serves as full-line supervisor.
7. Develops and administers the division budget.
8. In coordination with the Finance division, seeks and administers supplemental funding from various granting agencies.
1. Knowledge, skill and mental development equivalent to completion of four (4) years of college.
2. Requires four years’ experience in historical research, writing and editing, and/or in teaching American history / public history (or related curriculum) on the collegiate level, or five years in historical or research library in an administrative capacity.
1. Master’s degree or Ph.D in history, museum interpretation, collective memory, or related field.
2. Certificate in museum or cultural institution interpretation.
3. Four (4) years’ experience in public speaking and/or development of presentations focused on historical subject matter.
4. Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
5. Three (3) years’ experience managing a major program or project.
6. Two (2) years of work experience developing and managing a budget.
7. Two (2) years of experience working in a research library and/or museum.
8. Two (2) years of experience working in the public sector.
9. Two (2) years of r experience editing documents for publication.
10. Two (2) years of experience writing and/or administering grants.
11. Prior publication of scholarly research.
Salary: Anticipated starting salary $7,500-8,333 Monthly
Conditions of Employment
Requires a valid drivers’ license.
Requires ability to pass a background check.
Requires ability to work at various times outside of normal office hours as needed.
Requires ability to travel overnight, occasionally.
Requires ability to travel.
Requires use of an agency-supplied mobile phone.
Work Hours: M-F 8:30 am – 5 pm
Work Location: 112 N 6th St Springfield, IL 62701-1310
Agency Contact: Melissa.Coultas@illinois.gov
Job Function: Administration/Management
The ALPLM is passionate in our mission to discover, interpret. and preserve the life, times and legacy of America’s greatest president, Abraham Lincoln. We consider it an honor to share with the world what we learn, the processes and collateral with which we learn it and innovative approaches to creating a positive impact for the future inspired by the past. As preservationists of Illinois’ diverse history, we strive to build, maintain and make accessible a growing record of history for today’s inquisitive explorers as well as those who shall, in the future, rely on our efforts. The ALPLM boasts pristine facilities, a creative environment and a professional staff with a variety of backgrounds and talents.
Please follow link to the Director of Research and Interpretation (jobs2web.com) to apply.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.